in

Barcelona confirm sacking Quique Setien as manager

Barcelona confirms the sacking of Quique Setien as a manager with Netherlands boss Ronald Koeman is the frontrunner to be the next Barcelona manager.

Barcelona confirm sacking Quique Setien as manager www.africanstand.com
Barcelona confirm Quique Setien sacking as Ronald Koeman negotiations continue.

(African Stand) — Barcelona has confirmed the sacking of coach Quique Setien, but the announcement of his successor will have to wait as talks continue with Netherlands boss Ronald Koeman.

Setien signed a three-and-a-half-year contract when he took over from Ernesto Valverde in January, but failed to win a trophy and oversaw one of the most humiliating results in the club’s history as Barca were trounced 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals on Friday.

Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu told COPE journalist Victor Navarro on Sunday that the 61-year-old would not continue, and the decision has now been made official by the Catalan club.

Koeman remains the favourite to take over after spending the last few days in Catalonia, but the announcement of his arrival will have to wait as negotiations continue with Koeman and the Dutch Football Federation (KNVB).

A club statement read: “The Board of Directors has agreed that Quique Setién is no longer the first-team coach.

“This is the first decision within a wider restructuring of the first team which will be agreed between the current technical secretary and the new coach, who will be announced in the coming days.

The 57-year-old had previously turned down the chance to coach Barcelona, telling the Catalan club he would only be available after Euro 2020, but the continental competition was put back until 2021 due to Covid-19 and he has had a change of heart.

A Barca legend from his playing days and fondly remembered by fans for scoring the goal which gave the Catalan club their first European Cup in 1992, Koeman has spoken of his hopes to coach Barca on many occasions in the past.

Ericson Mangoli

Written by Ericson Mangoli

Ericson Mangoli is the founder of African Stand, based in Nairobi Kenya, Ericson leads a splendid group of correspondents, independent writers, investigators, analysts, and supporters from around the globe to run African Stand as a supervisor and the chief editor.

Ericson Mangoli's editorial experience ranges more than 5 years and covers all the sports news, and at times including business and venture, data innovation, legislative issues, strategy, basic freedoms, science detailing, and significantly more.

Turkish defense minister says Libya belongs to Libyans www.africanstand.com

Turkish defense minister says Libya belongs to Libyans

Inter Milan knock Shakhtar Donetsk out of Europa League www.africanstand.com

Inter Milan knock Shakhtar Donetsk out of Europa League