Most of the 137 Afghan returnees were private security guards who Saturday evening aboard Egypt Air. Other arrivals at the Entebbe International Airport included 72 humanitarian workers and diplomats from Juba, South Sudan, and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. They arrived aboard Ethiopian Airlines.
A Health Ministry official confirmed that all 207 people were transported to various quarantine centres, all private hotels. Uganda is also expecting repatriations from South Africa, the US, United Arab Emirates, and India.
- Zimbabwe health minister charged in coronavirus corruption case
- China to write off all interest-free loans to African countries
- Deadly New Ebola outbreak kills 11 people in DR Congo
- Ramaphosa condemns surge in femicides as lockdown eases
Meanwhile, a report that nationals living in China had refused to return home continue to stoke reactions which are disputing widely reported claims made by the foreign affairs minister last week.
The ministry in a press statement termed the protests by Africans living in China against mistreatment there as having been a result of “miscommunication among local authorities about how to handle foreign nationals as they control the spread of coronavirus”.
- Total confirmed cases = 859
- Total recoveries = 794
- Total deaths = 0
- Active cases = 65