Kenya has recorded 12 deaths in the last 24 hours, The Health Ministry Mutahi Kagwe has announced.
(African Stand) — Kenya’s coronavirus death toll rose to 197 on Monday after the health ministry confirmed twelve additional virus-related deaths, the highest single-day toll recorded in the country.
Speaking during the daily briefing on the status of the pandemic, The Health Ministry Mutahi Kagwe said all the new deaths were reported in Nairobi including three which occurred at home.
The new figure represents a 1.9 percent case-fatality rate a 0.1 percentage variation from the 1.8 percent the country was reporting as on Sunday, July 12.
Responding to questions on whether the newly reported death toll was a pointer to a miscalibrated reopening of the country, CS Kagwe emphasized on the need to exercise personal responsibility to contain the spread of the virus.
“If you lock up the country for another month, what is the additional asset you are adding to the country? Is it going to make Kenyans more and more aware, which Kenyan is not aware now and is going to be more aware in the next 30 days?” he posed.
More Kenya News
- Kenyan gynecologist dies from COVID-19
- Kenya and US in talks for bilateral trade deal
- Kenya Nominates Amina Mohamed for WTO top job
- Schools in Kenya to reopen in January 2021
- Kenya COVID-19 cases surpass 10,000 mark
- Kenya to reopen international flights from August 1
- Kenyan government launches online marriage service
- Kenyan queen of Ohangla music Lady Maureen dies
“For those who are denial, there is nothing much you can do about it, you cannot take people and start whipping them, you cannot put them in prison so that they understand there is a disease if someone is in denial, there is no so much you can do,” Kagwe stated.
The CS warned those flaunting the health ministry guidelines reiterating the need to take individual responsibility.
“If you are not going to wear a mask or keep social distance, stay at home, do not transfer the responsibility to the government, it is not fair,” he added.
Kagwe said 65 more patients have been discharged from various hospitals bringing to 2,946 the number of recoveries reported so far.
A five-year-old child was among the 189 new positive cases confirmed on Monday after 1,205 samples were analyzed within a period of 24 hours.
Documented virus infections since March stood at 10,294.